Susan E. Falk's Blog

My journey toward getting published. Here I'll be posting thoughts, ideas, frustrations and so forth about the wonderful world that is professional writing.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fargo, North Dakota, United States

I'm a summer of 69 baby from Chicagoland with 5 years in Orlando. I now call Fargo home. I have a BA in Theatre from Bemidji State.
I am a writer journeying toward publication. I have one completed manuscript set in 1924 Chicago that is 75,000 words. I have other works in progress ranging from: erotic, contemporary, paranormal, time travel, inspirational. So, as you can see I'm across the board (which reflects my reading tastes as well!).
Finding time to write in between working two jobs and family can be challenging. I had a recent break from focusing on my original works, but am starting again. So, I'm still working on a balance with my 13 year old.
I am an avid reader, primarily romance and mysteries (combined is a plus) but I read just about anything. I have a website that features my fan fiction, books read, reading links, and tons of links on various subjects. Stop by!

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rising From the Ashes (heh)

I've been in a funk for months. I have plenty of ideas floating around in my head, but sitting down to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) has been a problem. I'm not sure why. Things have been stressful personally since last spring when my husband was forced to resign from his job of 14 years. Finding another job that paid the same (or a comparable amount) that wouldn't take him far from home was difficult. He's not happy with the job he has currently, but he hasn't been unable to find anything else. So, things have been stressful. Unfortunately, my 16 year old bares the brunt of it as they lash out at each other - both are Type A personalities I guess, the type who worry and stress. I'm not and I tend to get caught in the middle.

My step-dad died suddenly last month of a massive stroke. He would have been 73 April 2 and it was just so sudden that it really has put me in a worse funk than I was before his death as far as being creative.

Couple that with my hours being cut practically in half the past month. All I can say is oy, it has to get better. Right!?!

I've been going through emails the last few days. I had online classes that I took back as far as last September still sitting there to go through and process. Bad, bad, Susan. Like I said above, stress!

In addition to the online class emails I've been sorting through the various emails I have saved from the writing loops I'm on. Some I saved merely for a helpful link they referenced. It's a huge task, but I feel like I'm decluttering (even if it's just my mailbox) - and by reading these tips and sites related to writing I'm slowly finding myself get pumped up again about writing.

I'm hoping I can turn the loss of hours into more writing time once I've completed the task of cleaning out my mailbox. It is hard at times, because I have a three year old and when I'm not working I feel guilty sitting at the computer. But hopefully I can start to balance it out.

It's finally spring here in Fargo - and maybe that's what I need. A pull myself up by my boot straps, fresh start.

Happy Writing!
Susan

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep at it Susan! Things can be rough at times. I know that all too well.
Chuck

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home