Susan E. Falk's Blog

My journey toward getting published. Here I'll be posting thoughts, ideas, frustrations and so forth about the wonderful world that is professional writing.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fargo, North Dakota, United States

I'm a summer of 69 baby from Chicagoland with 5 years in Orlando. I now call Fargo home. I have a BA in Theatre from Bemidji State.
I am a writer journeying toward publication. I have one completed manuscript set in 1924 Chicago that is 75,000 words. I have other works in progress ranging from: erotic, contemporary, paranormal, time travel, inspirational. So, as you can see I'm across the board (which reflects my reading tastes as well!).
Finding time to write in between working two jobs and family can be challenging. I had a recent break from focusing on my original works, but am starting again. So, I'm still working on a balance with my 13 year old.
I am an avid reader, primarily romance and mysteries (combined is a plus) but I read just about anything. I have a website that features my fan fiction, books read, reading links, and tons of links on various subjects. Stop by!

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Epiphanies

I've been lax in writing much of anything lately due to a wall I'd been hitting with the contemporary WIP I have in the works SHARON'S ESCAPE. This manuscript was aimed toward a Silhouette Romance type venue. 25,000 words into it and it just wasn't working for me and I couldn't figure out why, but because I was almost halfway done with it I found it difficult to set it aside and work on other things. My mind kept wandering back to Sharon and why her story wasn't working for me. I spent the month of August editing what I'd written so far hoping it would jump-start my creative juices. It didn't. I wrote a paragraph here and there after completing the edits but it still wasn't working. Finally, late last Wednesday night I was cleaning my desk and it all became clear.

Sharon is a 30ish woman who married her high school sweetheart, put off going to college herself to work while he went through college and law school. Three years ago, he left her cleaning out their swanky Chicago apartment and their bank account as well. Sharon's yet to really move on despite the wishes of her family and friends.

I realized what Sharon needs isn't a comfortable, somewhat platonic relationship while she's housesitting for a month in Florida. What she needs is an affair. Something to knock her socks off and carry her kicking and screaming into life again.

And so SHARON'S ESCAPE has evolved from a sweet romance into my first real attempt at erotic romance. Check back to see how things are going with Sharon!

Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home